541 Morgan Bay Road
Surry Maine 04684
Vacation on the Maine Coast
A rustic country farmhouse built on the Blue Hill Peninsula in 1832 waits for you.
Walk five minutes down the road to Morgan Bay and the Carter Nature Preserve, perfect for kayaking, swimming, or bird watching. In the other direction a five minute walk takes you to one of the prettiest views in Maine, the mountains of Acadia National Park.
Across the road from The Surry House is the Morgan Bay Zendo, a meditation center which has public meditation sittings on Sunday mornings and Wednesday evenings.
Rent A Room-- with private bath by the day, by the weekend or by the week
Rent The House---First floor of the house is available for rent by the week. You will be the only occupants.
After you have settled in perhaps with a rest on your four poster bed, you have many options for active relaxation:
- Bike - From The Surry House bike 15 minutes on country roads to a small sandy beach overlooking the mountains of Acadia National Park. This is also a lovely two hour walk roundtrip.
- Lobster shack - After enjoying the beach, bike to the local lobster shack and pick out a fresh lobster. While you wait, sit on the dock, breath the fresh ocean air. When your lobster is ready, you have your private dining room with only two tables on the dock for truly enjoying your Maine feast on the water while viewing the mountains of Acadia. This is the coast of Maine!
- Longer Bike Rides - If you have energy for biking or walking on, you can go on for another 3 miles for more beautiful views or in the other direction to the village of Surry.
- Kayak - On other days put in your kayak (or have one delivered for your use) just a few yards down the road for a sheltered bay adventure or kayak over to Acadia. Kayaking is shorter as the crow flies than driving.
- Art galleries - Drive to art galleries, antique shops, Holbrook Island Sanctuary, or just meander on the small country roads, maybe visiting the Nearing Homestead, the well-known "back-to-the-landers" of the 70's and 80's.
- By car - Drive a lovely 45 minutes through Ellsworth and back roads to Acadia National Park for mountain hiking, walks along the water's edge, biking on carriage trails, tea at the Jordon Pond House, or an early morning drive up Cadillac Mountain to be the first in the nation to see the sunrise. Look west from Caterpillar Hill to see the sunset at day's end.
- Ferry to the islands - you may want to take a ferry to one of the many islands in the area.
- Dinner - Take a picnic down the road to the shore or dine in a one of the lovely restaurants in Blue Hill.
- Rocking Chair - Relax on the porch in a rocking chair and wave to passerbys. A fire pit in the back yard waits for an evening fire. Watch the display of stars light up the evening sky. If you time it right you'll be here to see the full moon rise over Cadillac Mountain.
- Meditation Center - The lovely meditation center, Morgan Bay Zendo is right across the street and down a wooded path. Join folks for Sunday morning sittings or Wednesday evenings, or come for a retreat and stay in the Surry House.
You'll want to come back down home next year!